From CLEW Wiki
The Calendar tool allows instructors and site organizers to post information in calendar format on a course or project site. Common items that appear on the calendar are deadlines, quiz or exam dates, guest speakers, lab times, meetings, and office hours, and there are a variety of icons available to distinguish the different types of events visually. You can also use the Calendar tool to post class readings, as Calendar items can contain multiple attachments. You can print an Adobe PDF file of different Calendar views. All the calendar items included in your Calendar tool will appear as part of the student’s and your My Workspace calendar. If the Calendar tool is active on your site and appears in the left-hand main menu, you will also see an item on your site’s Home page, on the right side of the screen, titled Calendar. This is a quick view of all the items that exist in your calendar.
Another helpful feature available in the Calendar tool, is the ability to subscribe to the Institutional Academic calendar by semester, which includes important academic dates on campus. To do this, select Subscriptions (import) and put a check-box beside the semester you wish to include in your course site. Note, you cannot delete individual entries in the subscription, so if you don't want certain events to appear, you'll need to unsubscribe from that calendar option. You can also subscribe (import) information from external calendaring programs and external calendaring programs can subscribe to the CLEW Calendar. See Import a calendar for details about importing and exporting "Calendar" subscriptions.
Considerations: Date formats are affected by regional settings; the Calendar format is DAY-MONTH-YEAR [Language/Region: English (Canada)], so the month and day may be transposed for imported calendar files or subscriptions with external calendars that use a different regional setting and date format than Calendar (e.g. English (United States): MONTH-DAY-YEAR).
Subscriptions to Calendar can be exported to external calendaring programs.
The calendar can be viewed by day, week, month, or year, but opens as a default to the Calendar by Week screen. To change your view, use the View drop-down list to select from the following options: Calendar by Day, Calendar by Week, Calendar by Month, and Calendar by Year. Note: This view is for you only, not your participants.
To display the calendar for an earlier or later period (week, month, etc.), select the Previous Day/Previous Week/ Previous Month/ Previous Year, or Next Day/Next Week/Next Month/Next Year link(s). To view all of your scheduled activities in a list, select List of Events.
When viewed by day or week, the calendar will display a time range of 10 hours. To adjust the range so that it displays hours that are earlier or later in the day, click the links at the top Earlier or bottom Later of the calendar.
Adding a New Item
- On the Calendar tool home page, click Add from the menu bar.
- Enter the required information:
- Title: A name for the event. (Note: Since all events are aggregated to your students’ My Workspace Calendar, be sure to make meaningful titles to distinguish yours from other courses. For example, instead of “Office Hours,” “Prof. Smith’s Office Hours” would be more useful.)
- Date: Select the date of the event by using the drop-down lists or by clicking on the calendar icon to select the appropriate day.
- Start Time: Enter the time the event begins.
- Duration: Select the length of time for the event. The default time is one hour. When you change the duration, CLEW adjusts the end time automatically.
- End Time: Select the time the event ends. When you change the end time, CLEW adjusts the duration automatically.
- (Optional) Message: Enter any message or description you want to appear with this event.
Displaying Entries to Groups
- (Optional) Once created, this event will be immediately available for view by all members of your site. If you have defined groups/sections for your site, you will see the Display to selected groups. Use the check boxes to choose which groups or sections can view the calendar item.
Note: If you don’t see the Display to selected groups option, no groups or sections are associated with your site.
Setting the Frequency of the Event
- (Optional) If the event is to occur more than once, select the Frequency link and complete these steps:
- Next to Event Frequency, use the drop-down list to select how often you want this event to repeat. Options include once, daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly.
- If selecting an option other than once you will see Every where you can define the intervals between recurrences using the drop-down list.
- Ends use the radio links to select if and when event will stop the recurring.
- Select Save Frequency.
Setting the Event Type and Location
- Next to Event Type, use the drop-down list to make a selection.
- (Optional) Next to Event Location, enter a location for your event.
- (Optional) To add one or more attachments to the event click Add Attachments. You will be given a choice to:
- upload a file from your computer (select Browse);
- enter a URL to link to a website (type or paste in the URL and click Add);
- select from a resource already in your Resources tool (click Attach a copy beside the file to attach); or
- select a resource of another site (select Show other sites and click Attach a copy beside the file to attach).
Select Continue to add the attachment(s) or Cancel to exit to the event without adding the attachment(s).
- Select Save Event.
Note: When you create an assignment using the Assignments tool, you are given the option to add the due date automatically to the calendar for groups if the calendar tool exists. You must have the "Calendar" tool enabled on your site for this option to work.
Customizing the Home Page
- Select the Options link, which can be found beneath the course title and above the course description.
- (Optional) To change the name of the course as it appears on this Home page, enter the new name in the Title text box.
- Change, add, or delete any of the text found in the text box of the Rich Text Editor. Use the icons, drop-down menus, and other formatting options to format the text as desired.
- When you are finished making your changes, select the Update Options link. You may have to scroll down to see this link. If you do not want to make or save any changes, select the Cancel link to return to the regular view of the "Home" page.
- Find the item on your schedule and click its title.
- Click Edit.
- In the resulting form, make your desired changes.
- When you are finished editing the item, click Save Event.
- Find the item on your schedule and click its title.
- Click Remove event. For recurring events, on the confirmation page, you can choose to Delete all occurrences or Delete only this occurrence. Then, click Remove event to remove the item.
Add Attachment to Item
To add an attachment to an item in Calendar:
- To add a new item, see Adding, editing, or deleting Calendar items above. For an existing item, click the item's name, and then click Edit.
- Under "Attachments", you can attach a file from your local computer or from Resources, or specify the URL for a file on the web. See Options for adding attachments.
- Make any updates to your schedule item, and then click Save Event.
View Item Details
- If you aren't already viewing your calendar, in the left menu, click Calendar.
- To see an item's details, click its title.
- To return to the calendar, click Back to Calendar (do not use your browser's back button).
Note: If you have concurrently scheduled items, it may be difficult to view the items' titles. To see more details for a particular day, from the "View" drop-down list, change your calendar's view to Calendar by Day or List of Events.
Add or Delete Calendar Fields
Using the Calendar tool, you can add custom fields for your calendar. For example, you might want a field for specifying an event's organizer. Any fields you add will appear in the details for all of your calendar's items. To add or delete a custom calendar field:
- While viewing your calendar, click Fields.
- Next to "Field Name:", type a name for your custom field, and then click Create Field.
- Click Save Field Changes.
- While viewing your calendar, click Fields.
- From the list of custom fields, in the "Remove?" column, check the box next to any fields that you wish to remove, and then click Save Field Changes. When prompted to confirm, click Save Field Changes again.
In Calendar, you can view your calendar by day, week, month, or year. To change your view, use the View drop-down list to select Calendar by Day, Calendar by Week, Calendar by Month, or Calendar by Year. To view all of your scheduled activities in a list, click List of Events.
When viewed by day or week, the calendar will display a time range of 10 hours. To adjust the range so that it displays hours that are earlier or later in the day, click the links at the top (earlier) or bottom (later) of the calendar.
When viewing your activities in list form (by clicking List of Events), you can change which events are displayed using the Show drop-down list. Choose All events, Events for today, Events for this week, Events for this month, or Events for this year.
To set a custom date range, select Custom date range, use the Start and End fields to set the appropriate range, and then click Filter Events.
To create an Adobe PDF file of your calendar that you can print:
- In the menubar of your My Workspace or the course or project site whose calendar you wish to print, click Calendar.
Note: All calendar entries for sites you have access to are automatically merged into your My Workspace Calendar, so that's likely the one that you'll want to print.
- From the View drop-down list, select the desired view for the calendar to be printed (e.g., Calendar by Day, Calendar by Week, Calendar by Month, or List of Events). You cannot print the Calendar by Year view.
- Click Printable Version. This will open a new window with the calendar as a PDF document. From this window, choose whichever printing method your browser offers (e.g., a printer icon) to print the calendar.
Note: Merged calendar items will only be visible for site participants who are active in both sites. Merge Calendars allows you to bring calendar events from one site onto another.
Considerations of Merging Calendars
- This option should be used only if you want ALL events from another site to appear on the current site. You cannot selectively merge calendars; ALL events from the merged site will appear on the current site and any new events posted to the merged site will appear on both sites. (Events on the current site will not appear on the merged site.)
- To delete a merged calendar event, you must do so from the site on which it was originally posted. Deleting the event on the merged site will also delete the event on the second site.
- The Calendar in your My Workspace merges all of your sites’ events onto the one calendar. You will not see the Merge option in the menu bar.
How to Merge Calendars
- On the Calendar tool home page, click Merge on the Calendar menu bar. CLEW displays a list of sites to which you are a member.
- Under Show Calendar, check the box(es) for the site calendar(s) you want to merge with the calendar of the site you currently have open.
- Click Save to merge the calendars. The events from the other calendar(s) are now displayed in this site’s calendar. Click Cancel if you want to return to the Calendar home page without merging.
Undo a Merge
- On the Calendar tool home page, click Merge on the Calendar menu bar.
- Remove the check mark from the Show Schedule box for the calendars you want to remove from the current site by clicking in the check box.
- Click Save to finish. Click Cancel to exit with undoing the merge.
Import a Calendar
To import a calendar or export/import a calendar subscription see the Import a calendar article.