From CLEW Wiki
Email allows user to send an email message to site particpants. Also it provides WYSIWYG editing, file attachment, group/section-aware recipient selection, and a field for specifying non-site participant email addresses without leaving CLEW. Emails you receive through the Email Instructor tool will be sent to your UWin email account. When you receive the email in your Inbox.
- A copy of the email can be sent to the originator. Check to see that the Email copy checkbox at the bottom of the tool has been enabled.
- The Email tool ensures that students and instructors are emailing using their UWin ID email address. The Email Instructor tool does not allow the student to submit using another email address such as yahoo, hotmail, gmail, or sympatico but it does allow email to be sent to "Other Recipients" external to CLEW.
- If you were given a “Sample Student” account to practice in your Sandbox with, do not send an email while logged in as “CLEW/Student”. Email will not work from this account and will result in an error message.
- As an instructor, you may use the Email tool to send an email to your TA(s) without leaving CLEW.
- In project sites, the Instructor refers to the Site Organizer. There is no TA on a project site.
Note: the attachment size is limited to 10 MB, according to University policy.
Note: The previous tool called Email Instructor is still available if you wish to restrict emailing within your CLEW site to be only directed towards the instructional team and not available for students to email each other. To access the Email Instructor tool, select Site Editor -> Edit Tools -> uncheck Email and check Email Instructor -> Continue -> Finish.
The Email tool initially displays the From: field containing the email address of the current user.
How to select recipient(s)
The To: section of the interface is where recipient selection occurs through checkboxes, with selections applied to roles, groups, sections, individual recipients, or any combination thereof. The recipient lists are first arranged by role, and the respective site participants for each role can be listed by clicking on the "Select <role name>" action link, which expands the list and changes to a "Collapse" action link for collapsing the list once again. Recipients are ordered alphabetically by surname. (Email will handle every role defined in the site in this way.)
At the bottom of the To: section is a field for adding any optional email addresses, and it is labeled Other Recipient(s). This field will typically be for non-site participant addresses.
Email Subject and Message Body
The Subject: line displays the site title by default. This can be overwritten if desired. Two message body editors are available for use, plain text and WYSIWYG (HTML).
How to attach file(s)
Directly beneath the recipient selection view is an action link which enables users to “Attach a file” to the email message. Clicking on this link prompts the user to browse for a file on the desktop. After selecting the file, the Open and then the “Attach” buttons must be clicked to complete the action. Note that attachments are files added from the users computer only, and thus are not handled as resources or other Sakai attachments.
Below the composition pane is the “Send me a copy”, is simply to allow the sender to retain a copy of their own outgoing message. Ensure this is checked to receive a copy of the email.
Sending Email and the Confirmation Page
The Send Mail button is the trigger; clicking on it distributes the message according to the recipient selections made. Once clicked, a “Message sent to” confirmation page is immediately returned listing the intended recipients.