From CLEW Wiki
In this article:
- Roster Overview
- Get Started with Roster Tool
- Print a Roster
- Export a Roster
The Roster tool allows you to view the names and profiles of your students (or site participants) as well as export your class list to a .csv spreadsheet. A count of site participants is also displayed. The Roster is only available to those with Instructor/Site Organizer permissions; students cannot see the Roster.
Once in the Roster tool you will see your class or participant list. In course sites, this list is populated and updated automatically by the Student Information System (SIS). At this time, an autopopulated Pictures option is unavailable (due to FIPPA concerns), but an individual may have uploaded an image to their Profile (found in My Workspace that could be visible in this area.
The Roster tool does not allow you to add or remove participants from your site. To do this, you must use Site Editor, but students in a course should auto-populate as mentioned above.
Get Started with Roster Tool
To get started, click Roster in the left menu. If you don’t see it in the menu, you will need to add it to your site using the Site Editor tool.
- You will see your entire class list or participant list on the "Roster" home page.
- Participants are listed alphabetically. A count of participants appears above the table to the right.
To Customize View:
- Next to "View", use the drop-down list to view one section or group at a time. Participants can see only groups they are members of; site owners can see all groups.
- To sort by a different column, click the column's heading. To reverse the order, click the heading again.
- To find a particular person, type the name or user ID in the search box and click Find.
- To view a participant's profile, click the person's name.
View Student Numbers
Only the official Instructor of Record for the course will be able to view student numbers.
- On the home page of the Roster tool, click Student Numbers in the Roster menu bar. You will see a list of your students’ UWin IDs, Names, and Student Numbers.
- Click the Download for Excel link and save the file in a convenient location to use the file for adding grades.
If groups or sections have been set up on your site, a View drop-down list will be visible on the "Roster" home page. (See Manage Groups and Sections for more information on setting up and maintaining groups.)
- To see only members of specific groups or sections, select the appropriate group or section using the View drop-down list.
- To view someone’s profile, click the person’s name. Individuals may edit their profiles in their My Workspace. If a participant uploaded a picture to his/her profile, it will be seen as part of the profile.
- On the home page of the Roster tool, click Pictures in the Roster menu bar.
- Since the University of Windsor does not have Official Photos for CLEW use, select you will see any photos that individuals may have added to their profiles (found in My Workspace.
- You can view photos by groups, (if you have groups set up), by selecting the appropriate group in the View drop-down menu.
- You can search and print (as described in Search Roster and Print Roster above). You can Print Screen, or Print in a Single Column by selecting the appropriate button.
View Group Membership
If you used the Sections tool or Manage Groups to assign individuals to groups, you can view student/participant group assignments through the Roster tool. You will not have this option if you have not assigned students to groups.
- On the home page of the Roster tool, click [Group Membership] in the Roster menu bar.
- On the Group Membership page, you may change views by selecting from the View drop-down menu; sort the list by clicking on the appropriate title; view a profile by clicking on an individual’s name; print or export the list by clicking the appropriate buttons.
- Ungrouped: Displays all users and lists each person's membership(s) in the "Groups" column.
- By Group: Organizes the list alphabetically by group name followed by the group's membership. Participants that are not members of a group or section are listed under the "Unassigned" heading.
- To search the roster by name (first or last) or User ID enter the name or ID in the Name or ID text box.
- Click the Find button. You will see the results of the search.
- To return to a view of the entire Roster, click Clear.
By default, participants are separated by role and listed alphabetically. You may sort this list alphabetically by clicking the heading of one of the following columns you wish to sort:
- last name (click Name),
- User ID (click User ID),
- Role (click Role), or by
- Group (click Group).
To reverse the order, click the appropriate heading again.
Print a Roster
- In the home page of the Roster tool, click the Print button found in the upper right corner of the Roster screen.
- Your browser’s print dialog box will appear. Adjust your print settings as needed and then click Printer or OK.
Export a Roster
The Roster tool allows you to export its contents to a comma-delimited (.csv) file so that you can import and work on it in another application such as Excel. Also, with some formatting, this file can be re-imported back into Feedback or Gradebook.
- On the home page of the Roster tool, click the Export button.
- Choose to save the file to your computer and click OK. (Make note of where your computer is storing the file. Be sure to save it somewhere besides in the temporary internet folder.)
- You may now open the saved file using Excel or another similar application. You may get prompted to set up the file on how it should be viewed when opening it up in a spreadsheet application, (as it is a data file, separated by commas that the receiving program may need to display properly).
Things to consider
- The Roster tool does not allow you to add or remove participants from your site. To do this, you must use Site Info (if you have appropriate permissions).
- If you don't see the Roster tool listed in your site's menubar, the site owner may have chosen not to use it. Site owners can add the Roster tool using Site Info.
- Site managers can create and edit groups in the Site Info tool.
- Site managers can create and edit sections using the Section Info tool.