Site Mailing List
From CLEW Wiki
In this article:
- Add Site Mailing List Tool to Your Site
- Send an Email to All Students/Site Members
- Change How You Receive Site Mailing List Emails
- Read Messages Sent to Site Mailing List
- Navigating Site Mailing List
- Delete a Message Archived in Site Mailing List
- Control Who Can Send Site Mailing List Messages
- Change How Members Can Use the Site Mailing List
Using the Site Mailing List tool is one way to send an email to all students/site members at once.
Once the Site Mailing List tool is properly set up, you can use Lotus Notes or Webmail to create an email and send it to the Site Mailing List address. You and all your students/members will receive the email and a copy will be stored in the Site Mailing List tool archive, which you and your students can access at any time.
Emails sent using the Site Mailing List tool will not appear on the home page of your course/project site. If you want your email to appear on the home page, use the Announcements tool to create and send the email.
By default, once the Site Mailing List is set up, all students/members of a site can use the Site Mailing List address to send an email to the entire class/site membership.
To change this default, see Change How Members Can Use the Site Mailing List below. The Site Mailing List is not a tool for sending emails to particular individuals; everyone in the site receives an email sent to the Site Mailing List address.
Add Site Mailing List Tool to Your Site
Adding Site Mailing List to your site activates an email address that your site participants can use to communicate with each other. Email sent to your site’s email address is copied to all site participants and owners, and all messages are stored in the Email Archive.
- Click Site Editor in the left-hand menu.
- In the Site Editor home page, click Edit Tools on the Site Editor menu bar.
- Click on the check box beside Site Mailing List. A check mark will appear in the box.
- Click the Continue button at the bottom of the page. You will see the Customize Tool screen.
- Create a meaningful and/or easy-to-remember email address for your site (referred to as an alias) by completing the first part of the Site email address. An address that reflects the course number or name works well. (e.g. Psych147)
- Click Continue.
- Click the Finish button at the bottom of the page to add the Site Mailing List tool, or click the Back button to change your selection, or click Cancel to return to the Site Editor home page without adding the Site Mailing List tool.
Note: The proper set up and use of the alias address is critical to the successful use of the Site Mailing List tool.
Send an Email to All Students/Site Members
- Use your Lotus Notes or Webmail to create an email as you normally would. Note: Only UWin email accounts are recognized by CLEW.
- In the To: field, type the easy-to-remember email address (alias) you created in Add Site Mailing List Tool to Your Site above.
- Click Send. The message will go to all members in your course or project site, and will be archived online in the Site Mailing List tool.
Change How You Receive Site Mailing List Emails
Messages are sent to you and your students at your UWin email addresses. You can receive each email individually or in a daily digest format. Changes to your notification preferences can be made from your My Workspace using the Preferences tool.
Read Messages Sent to Site Mailing List
Emails sent to the site mailing address can be read in your UWin email Inbox or on the CLEW site.
- Click Site Mailing List in the left menu of your course or project site. You will see a list of all emails sent to the site mailing address.
- To read a message, click on the subject of the message.
- Use the Next Email and Previous Email buttons to move from message to message.
- When you have finished reading the message(s), click Back to List to return to the Site Mailing List home page.
- On the Site Mailing List home page, you can select how many messages you want displayed on the screen. Click the arrow beside show 20 items… and make your desired selection.
- To advance through several pages of email messages, use the arrows to the right and left of the show... box. Click |< to go to the first page of messages and |> to go to the last page of messages.
- To search for a message containing a key word, type the word into the box beside the Search button near the top right of the frame and click Search. (Search is not case sensitive.) You will see a list of all messages containing the key word. Click Clear Search to return to the Site Mailing List home page.
- You can sort messages by clicking on the headings of the columns. To sort by sender, click From. To sort by subject, click Subject. To sort by the date the message was received, click Date Received. To reverse the sort order, select the heading a second time.
Delete a Message Archived in Site Mailing List
- On the Site Mailing List home page, click the subject of the message you want to delete. This will open the message.
- In the Site Mailing List menu bar, click Delete.
- On the following confirmation screen, click Remove to complete the deletion, or click Cancel to return to the message without deleting it. Remember: there is no “undo”; once a message is deleted, it is permanently removed.
Control Who Can Send Site Mailing List Messages
- On the Site Mailing List home page, click Options in the Site Mailing List menu bar.
- Under Accept Message From, choose Anyone or Only site participants.
- Click Update Options to save your changes.
Change How Members Can Use the Site Mailing List
By default, any member of a course or project site can use the Site Mailing address to send an email to all members of the site. To restrict what members are able to do:
- On the Site Mailing List home page, click Permissions in the Site Mailing List menu bar.
- Find the role for which you want to change the permissions and place or remove a check in the box in the appropriate column:
- read: provides access to the Site Mailing List tool and to the messages archived within. Individuals without read permission will not see Site Mailing List in the left-hand menu of the site.
- new: permits use of the Site Mailing List mailing address
- delete.any: permits deletion of messages from the archive in the Site Mailing List tool
- Click Save to save your changes or click Cancel to return to the Site Mailing List home page without saving.
- The Site Mailing List tool uses plain text to format messages, even if their original format was HTML or rich text. This means that formatting such as bullets, numbering, centred text, and font colours are removed from the email sent. A link to the original formatted message is included in the email.
- The Site Mailing List also uses links to handle attachments. Instead of receiving an attachment directly in the body of an email message, site members can click a link to view the attachment.
- You cannot use Site Mailing List to send messages to particular individuals. Messages sent to your site’s email address are received by all site members/students.
- If you Reply to All to a message that was sent using the Site Mailing List tool, all members of the site will receive the reply, not just the person who sent the message.