Transfer to eGrade from Blackboard
From CLEW Wiki
The University of Windsor has created a tool to specially integrate the results from the Blackboard Grade Centre into the eGrade tool. eGrade is the system at the University which is the conduit between final grades and the SIS. eGrade is external to Blackboard and is a stand-alone tool. The Export to eGrade tool will read the decimal value from calculated columns and then round accordingly to the nearest whole number based on the 100 grade scale.
Export to eGrade Tool
To see a short video (3:26) on how this tool works, click this Export to eGrade link. Click the HD is OFF in upper right corner of screen to toggle for the HD is ON option for optimal viewing.
Getting Started with Export to eGrade
To transfer grades from Blackboard to eGrade you can begin by finding the Export to eGrade tool in your Blackboard site's Control Panel under Course Tools.
Upon first arrival in the tool you will be presented with a list of students and calculated grade columns from your Blackboard site's Grade Centre. To start you should select where you would like to Export To:
- eGrade - This option will directly export your grades into the University's grading application eGrade.
- Spreadsheet: CSV - This option will allow you to download a spreadsheet for offline work in a format that can later be uploaded to eGrade.
Secondly, you must choose which Grade Centre column you would like to export. A column is selected by clicking the circular button next to its name. Once selected the column will be highlighted in light blue and the dropdown boxes in that column will be modifiable.
Using a Pass or Fail Scheme in a Course
As Blackboard requires a numeric value to calculate, instructors who use a Pass/Fail grading scheme will need to set the minimum value for a pass in the course. There is an option available to perform this conversion.
If this applies to your course, enter this value in the Enter the minimum value for a Pass box and click Calculate. This will then apply to each student in the selected grading column on the page, and set a P or an F as determined by the "minimum value" you entered.
Review Grades and Override
- Now you are ready to review your grades and make any SIS specific overrides. To override a grade, simply click on the dropdown containing the grade and select one of the options (i.e. IN, IP, NR, P or F).
- If you have any blank grades, please note that if you do not override them with a value, they will not be sent to eGrade.
- Once your review is complete, you can click the Submit button.
Select Destination Courses and Review Warnings
On the next page, you will be presented first with a collapsible list of any warnings about your current grade exports. These are usually if you have any blank grades or grading errors and will contain enough descriptive text for you to review and correct the issue.
Below the warnings you will see a list of courses that you have authorization to export for.
Each course will have a checkbox and below the course code will be the Draft Status. If your course already has grades submitted for it, it will show Draft exists below the course code. This is to let you know that any submission to this course could overwrite existing grades for students in eGrade for that course.
Clicking Submit after selecting one or more courses will complete the export process. The next page you will see shows the results of your export process. The response you receive from eGrade will be logged in the Blackboard system and then displayed in a table on this page. To see a sample of the type of export results you may see, view image below:
How to Interpret This Data
There are essentially 4 types of Status Codes that eGrade will return for your export.
- SUCCESS - Everything went as expected, nothing to review or change.
- WARNING - Everything went mostly as expected, see the Message column for specific warnings. Warnings are mostly seen for students who did not receive a grade or a student who was submitted but was not on the course roster in eGrade. Take note of the warnings, but you shouldn't need to review anything.
- UNKNOWN - An unknown issue occurred while contacting the eGrade service. Log into eGrade to check the status of your grades. This error sometimes appears if Blackboard sent grades to eGrade but did not receive a response back from the server within a reasonable amount of time. You may need to submit again or contact the ITS Service Desk.
- ERROR - An error occurred exporting to eGrade. The Message column should indicate what went wrong. In some cases you may be able to fix the issue, but in most cases it will require you to call the ITS Service Desk for further support.
Final Step - Log Into eGrade
The above steps will send your grades over as a draft into eGrade. Click Save and Submit to complete the process.You will then need to log-in to eGrade and confirm that those are the grades you wish to submit. This second step is necessary for the grades to be available for approval by the Chair and released to the students.
Final Grade Comments
If you have comments or feedback that you want to be available to your Dean or Dept. Head, you can enter them directly in the eGrade tool (not from Blackboard).