Migrating from Crocodoc to New Box
Blackboard’s current service for the implementation of inline grading is through the Crocodoc API, and Box Inc. has decided to discontinue it. The end-of-life date for the Crocodoc API is January 15, 2018.
As a result, we’ve updated our inline grading capability to leverage the New Box View API. New Box View offers several improvements over Crocodoc, including improved rendering fidelity and expanded support for new file types. Inline grading will continue to work in your courses after January 15th, 2018.
New Box will not impact using course's rubrics or rubric data. You'll be able to use the same rubrics within the inline grading interface alongside the New Box View service.
Instructors and roles with grading privileges
- Must assign grades, and in the Ultra Course View, post the grades, before students can view annotations.
- Can’t edit or remove existing Crocodoc annotations in New Box View as the annotations are “burned” into a PDF during migration.
- Can add or edit New Box View annotations after a grade is assigned. However, when delegated grading is enabled, only instructors can add or edit annotations in New Box View after grades are assigned.
Delegated grading is enabled and no grades are assigned
- Graders who aren’t allowed to view other graders’ annotations, won’t see any annotations—even their own—after the migration to New Box View. Graders see students’ original documents. The “hidden annotations” are necessary because graders shouldn’t see other grader or instructor annotations that existed before the migration.
Delegated grading is enabled and grades are assigned
- After grades are assigned in your course, graders can view all annotations made in Crocodoc and New Box View.
- Students may be able to see all annotations based on the Provisional Grades setting within the Delegated Grading capabilities.
|Functions and Details||Crocodoc||New Box View|
|File types for annotations||PDF, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, DOC, and DOCX||Over 100 different file types|
|Videos and images displayed||No||Yes|
|Course areas||Original assignments, Ultra assignments, and in Ultra tests' additional submission area||Original assignments, Ultra assignments, and in Ultra tests' additional submission area|
|Annotation types||Text- and point-based comments, highlighting, and drawing||Point-based comments and highlighting|
|Download||You can download a copy of a student file with the option to download in the original format or in a PDF version that includes the annotations||You can download a copy of a student file, but annotations won’t appear|
|Students||Can’t add annotations to documents||Can’t add annotations to documents|
- Group Assignments-Create
- Group Assignments-Grade
- SafeAssign-Analyzing Report
- SafeAssign-View Report