Add Extra Credit Grade Centre
Adding Extra Credit Column to Grade Centre
"How To" Video
Please visit this video from University of Oregon, which details three methods on adding an extra credit to your course. More detail and step-by-step instructions at . (Creative Commons License with Attribution). Another document on performing the next to the impossible task of offering an extra credit with a Weighted Total Colum from CC-BY-NC-SA Boston John Mazzarella, MEd, Instructional Support Specialist, University of Massachusetts.
Setting up the Grade Centre
To create and include extra credit columns in students’ final scores, follow these steps:
- Create a column for Extra Credit by clicking Create Column
- Give a Name to the Column; entering a Grade Centre Display Name and Description for the column is optional.
- Choose a Primary Display. Choosing a Secondary Display is optional and will only show to the Instructor.
- Note: Score is most commonly used for the Primary Display for extra credit.
- Do not choose a category for Extra Credit; choose No Category from the drop down - menu if it is not already selected.
- Assign the Extra Credit a point value of 0 by entering 0 for Points Possible.
- (Optional) Assign a Due Date to the Extra Credit.
- Select Yes to Include this Column in Grade Centre Calculations. Choose whether you want to Show this Column to Students or Show Statistics (average and median) for this column to Students in My Grades.
- Click Submit to create the Extra Credit column.
Formatting a Total Column to Recognize the Extra Credit (Points, not Weighted Total)
- (Note - performing this step, will assign the bonus column into the total number of points available for the entire course, and if you choose a Total column to export to UWinsite Student, the maximum value will be out of 100 only).
- On the Grade Centre page, click the action link in the Total column. You will see a drop - down menu.
- Select Edit Column Information from the drop - down menu.
- Scroll down to the Select Columns area.
- In the section titled Include in Total,choose Selected Columns and Categories
- Choose which columns and/or categories to include in the Total Points column. To include Extra Credit, select the title you chose for the Extra Credit column and move it to the section titled Selected Columns by click the centre arrow.
- Scroll down and click Submit.
Finalizing Grades for UWinsite Student
Once the Bonus Column option from above has been set up properly (double check your values in your Grade Centre to ensure it reflects the values you wish), then you are ready to transfer to UWinsite Student. To do so, go to the course's Control Panel -> Course Tools -> Transfer Final Grades -> Choose this column (your title of Total Plus Bonus) which should now appear in the columns displayed. Once selected (radio button above the column), and you will see the column appear with a blue background. Review the Grades and override where needed by using the drop-down options beside the student's grade cell.
Click Submit to begin the transfer to UWinsite Student. Choose the appropriate course, and ensure your values are correct, and whether you wish this to be the first draft to be submitted or if an existing draft exists, it will override existing grades submitted prior.
Please note: grades transferred from Blackboard to UWinsite Student are in Draft mode only. You will still need to log into UWinsite Student to complete the process so it will be transferred to the Dean or Department head for approval.