Getting Started Students Bb
- 1 Overview - Students (Blackboard)
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Accessing Blackboard
- 1.3 Logging In
- 1.4 Finding your courses
- 1.5 Navigating Your Courses
- 1.6 Course Tools
- 1.7 Blackboard Tools
- 2 Related Articles
Overview - Students (Blackboard)
Blackboard is University of Windsor’s new learning management system. This system will replace CLEW and will be the space where you can access your course materials. Blackboard is completely web-based, and therefore you will need an internet connection to access its features.
You can easily access Blackboard Learn by logging in at https://blackboard.uwindsor.ca using your UWin ID and password.
Additionally, the link to Blackboard is available through the MyUWindsor portal. Once you have logged into the MyUWindsor Student portal, you will see the link to Blackboard near the top of the left-hand menu (click thumbnail to expand). Click on the link for Blackboard. You will not need to log in again. You will be brought to the Home tab in Blackboard.
Once logged in, you will see links along the top of the page including - "Home", "Training," "Courses," "Organizations," "Content Collection". Your courses are available in the Courses tab, or they are visible from the Home tab under My Courses. Finally, Courses are visible from the MyBlackboard drop-down link near your name in the upper right corner.
You can still access your current semester CLEW sites (if this applies to you), by scrolling down on the Courses tab, to the bottom.
You will need your UWIN ID and password to access your blackboard site. To log in go to: http://blackboard.uwindsor.ca
Your UWin ID is the first part of your University of Windsor email address, the part before “@uwindsor.ca”. Your password is usually the same one you use to access your Webmail.
If you have difficulty logging in:
- Verify that you are only using your UWin ID, not your entire email address. (The UWin ID is the part before the @uwindsor.ca)
- If you continue to have difficulty logging in, contact the HelpDesk at ext. 4440 or submit a support ticket here
Finding your courses
There are many ways you can access your course website in Blackboard:
- Click on the 'courses' tab in the top navigation menu
- You will see a list of all courses you are enrolled in, that have an active course site on Blackboard
- Select the course you would like to access, to open the site
- Locate the navigation pane on the right panel of your homepage
- Click on the arrow to access the drop down menu with a list of courses you are enrolled in
- Select the course you would like to access, to open the site
Can't Find Your Course Website
If you are unable to locate your your course website, there may be a few possible reasons:
- Your instructor may not be using a website for this course, or has not yet made the course website available.
- You may not be properly enrolled in the course. Verify your enrollment by logging into SIS or through the registration portal on myUWindsor.
- If you have verified your enrollment and still cannot access your course site, there may be a temporary issue within the course website that need to be addressed.
- If none of the above scenarios apply to you, contact the Helpdesk for additional support.
Your course site will consist of a navigation bar at the top and navigation pane to the left.
Each course site will feature a set of tools, that your instructor has decided will assist you in your course. These tools may vary between your sites, depending on the settings instructor has set. The left navigation pane will give access to all available tools in your site.
The content of your courses will be available in the left navigation menu. Each instructor has the option and ability to design their courses in a way that best fit their goals for the course. Therefore you may notice differences in tool availability among your course sites. To familiarize yourself with the different course tools that Blackboard has to offer; you may wish to explore the content of each of your courses.
Some instructors will post the course outline or syllabus using Blackboard's Syllabus tool.
To access this tool
- Locate the Syllabus link in the left navigation menu
- Click on the Syllabus link
If an attachment is available, you may click on it to open the Syllabus or course outline.
My Grades is a function in blackboard that allows your instructors to securely share grades and feedback with you.
To access your grades
- Click on the name of the course you would like to access
- Click on My Grades in the left navigation menu
- Review your grades
Blackboard has a number of interactive tools that you may find in your course sites. The availability of these tools within your course sites will vary depending on your instructor's settings.
The discussions tool allows you to engage in online discussion with members of your course.
To create a thread
- Select discussions from the left menu
- On the action bar, click Create Thread
- On the Create Thread page, ensure to type a subject
- Include your question, description, or instructions in the message box.
- You may attach a file by using one of the following options:
- Uploading a file from your computer by selecting the Browse My Computer option
- Browsing the Content Collection
- To create the thread, click Submit
The thread will appear in the forum
To reply to a discussion
- Select discussions from the left menu
- Select a topic
- Select the thread you would like to reply to
- Read the messages
- Click the blue reply button under the message you would like to reply to
- Type your reply in the message box
- To attach a file, you may select a file from your computer or browse the content collection
- Click post message
The e-mail tool in Blackboard allows you to contact your course instructor, within the course site. Depending on how your instructor has designed your course, this tool may or may not be available to you. It is wise to verify with your instructor the best method of communication during your course.
To send an e-mail
- Click send e-mail in the left hand menu
- Click on the user type who you’d like to send an e-mail to
- Use the message box to type your e-mail message
- To attach a file, click the attach a file button and browse your computer for the file
- Click submit to send your message
The assignments tool in Blackboard is the portal where you will submit course work. Instructors will provide you with the information that you will need to complete any assignments in the course.
To Submit an Assignment
- On the left navigation menu, select Assignments.
- Click the name of the assignment.
- On the Upload Assignment page, review the instructions, due date, points possible, and download any files provided by your instructor.
- You may complete the assignment by either following:
- Writing your response in the Text Submission box where you You can use the content editor to format text, add files, images, links, and multimedia.
- Browsing your computer to attach an external file. Follow the instructions that your instructor provided for naming your file. If you select the wrong file, you can remove it
- Click Submit.
Tests are another method of assessment that your instructor may use within a course site. Instructors will provide you with the information that you will need to complete any tests in the course.
To take a test, use the following the steps
- Navigate to the test tool in the left navigation menu and click the title.
- Click Begin to take the test.
- Your instructor may choose to have you type a password to begin taking a test. If necessary, type the valid password and click Submit to begin the test.
- Test answers are saved automatically. You can also click Save next to each question or Save All Answers at the top or bottom of the page.
When you complete the test, click Save and Submit.
The journal tool is an area where you may communicate with your course instructor in a private setting. You may also use this tool to self-reflect on your course experience. You may wish to verify with your instructor if this tool will be available in your course site.
To access the journal tool
- Click Journals in the left navigation menu.
- Click the name of the journal you would like to access
To create a journal entry
- On the journal topic page, click Create Journal Entry.
- On the Create Journal Entry page, enter a title and message
- You may also upload an external file from your computer to the Journal Files area.
- When you have finished writing your journal entry, click Post Entry to submit.
You may also save your journal entry as a draft for later posting.
Blogs are similar to journals, however they can be viewed by all members in your course site. Members of your course site can also leave comments on your blog posts.
To access the Blogs tool
- Locate the Blogs link in the left navigation menu
- Click on the link to access blog topics
- Click on the topic you would like to access
To create a blog entry
- On the blog topics page, click Create Blog Entry
- On the Create Blog Entry page, create and title and message
- You may wish to add an external file from your computer. You may do so by clicking the Browse my Computer link and uploading your file.
- When you have finished writing your blog post, click Post Entry to submit
You may also save the blog entry as a draft for later posting.
Wikis are collaborative documents that allow you to contribute and modify pages of information. Your instructor may wish to you have you collaborate with other students on a Wiki page as a method of assessment. Only instructors can create a Wiki document, but students can create pages.
To create a Wiki page
- Locate the Wiki tool in the left navigation menu
- On the Wiki page, click Create Wiki page
- On the Create Wiki page, include a title and your information. You may use the content editor to format your text, include external files, images, links and multimedia.
- When you are finished editing your Wiki page, click Submit.
Wiki's are collaborative documents, therefore any member of a group may edit a page. Note that when a member is editing a Wiki page, it is locked for a period of 2 minutes to prevent other members from editing the page at the same time.
To edit a Wiki page
- Locate the Wiki page from the left navigation menu
- Select the Wiki page you would like to edit
- Click Edit Wiki Content
- Make the required changes
- Click submit to save your changes
To comment on Wiki pages
- Locate the Wiki topic page and select the Wiki page you would like to comment on
- Click comment and type your message
- Click add to submit your comment
Articles that also relate to the Category:Blackboard: